Full credit for this recipe goes to Mama Tait!
150g (5oz) digestive biscuits, crushed
1 level tbsp cocoa
4 glace cherries chopped
25g (1oz) raisins /sultanas
50g (2oz) butter/marg
2 rounded dsp golden syrup
110g (4oz) plain/dark chocolate
Optional- 25g (1oz) chopped walnuts
Optional – White chocolate stars for decoration
- Crush biscuits finely (use bag and rolling pin or food processor).
- Add cocoa, cherries, raisins and nuts if using.
- Melt fat and syrup in a pan. DO NOT BURN!
- Add to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Press down into a 18cm (7”) sq tin lined with parchment paper. Leave in fridge to harden.
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over pan of hot water. Spread over biscuit base.
- When set cut into small squares.
Don’t be tempted to leave out the fruit. They are very rich and can be cut into very tiny squares and served with coffee at the end of a meal or as sweet canapés.
These also make fantastic gifts for friends and neighbours, just pop a handful in a cellophane bag and tie with a ribbon/twine!