This is a strange but very traditional British dish that works great for a canapé! It essentially involves a basic batter which combines any manner of meats/vegetables you fancy.
Ingredients – makes 24
For the batter:
70g plain flour
Cooking oil (vegetable/sunflower works best)
For the filling:
Up to you…for toad in the hole we use sausages (cooked in advance) but bubble and squeak you can use anything from potatoes to carrots, brussel sprouts etc etc.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Pour a small amount of oil into each tartlet hole in a tartlet tray (so the bottom is covered) and put into the oven until hot.
- Beat the eggs into the flour and then gradually add the milk to make your batter.
- Pour the batter into the tartlet tray to about half full and add the sausage/vegetables.
- Put back into the oven for 5mins or until risen and golden brown. Serve immediately.